Flash Required to view this area.

12.15.2009

soup.


somedays are just good soup days. the crisp winter air elicits such cravings quite often, and i am finally venturing into the land of soup-making. it can be lots of work, but the result is quite satisfying and simply delicious. today i felt like endeavouring to make homemade butternut squash soup. sara truppo joined me and acted as my sous chef as i made a huge mess in my tiny kitchen. we decided to document the whole process so we could share it with you my faithful readers. and we of course laughed a ton along the way and our creation was quite delicious. it was perfect for a long, hard, winter day.

here's the recipe: (by martha, of course)

Pureed Butternut Squash Soup

Serves 4
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 piece (2 inches) fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 3/4 pounds small butternut squash, prepared and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
Coarse salt and ground pepper
Sour cream, (optional)
Spicy Pumpkin Seeds

Directions

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, and squash; cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in 4 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until squash is tender, 20 minutes.

Purée soup in two batches. When blending hot foods, allow the heat to escape to prevent splattering. Remove the cap from the hole of the blender’s lid, and cover with a dish towel. Stir in juice and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Serve hot, with sour cream, pepper, and pumpkin seeds, if desired.



mmm. i love martha!

2 comments:

The Imaginary said...

UMMMMM....excuse me! I am not cited as the photographer of at least 1 of those pictures...stealer of my art, see if I work with you any more! humpf!

Bethany said...

First, I am eating butternut squash soup right not haha and second I LOVE MARTHA! So you have won be over with this one and I am adding a star to make later!! Thanks Jeff!

P.S. Your pics of soup are A-mazing, you even make boiling butternut squash pretty :)