Flash Required to view this area.

10.22.2005

Calm Seas Ahead...

You all may be in a deep state of perplexity and wonder about the latter part of the title of my blog: "Bearings and Headings." Alas, I shall remove any confusion from your minds and explain to you why I choose such an enigmatic title.

I was trying to be clever and pun-esque with my title and decided to play off of my last name: Shipley! So I chose nautical terms that have to do with the direction, whereabouts, and such of a sea-faring vessel. Hence, “bearings and headings”…

But, as I thought about it, such a title has more meaning than meets the superficial eye. To me, it signifies my on-going voyage through life. It is beyond my control and is in the hands of the Almighty. Some seasons and days are faced with rain, winds, and tumultuous seas while others are simply blessed with sun, blue sky and glassy seas. Each of which bring me to the realization of my deep need for and dependence on Christ. He is my compass, my charts, my map—he is the one giving me my bearings and headings. Without him I would be lost at sea, awaiting the day when my ship would be enveloped by the waters and come to rest on the ocean floor. Ah, it is such a comfort to know that I am not it this thing we call life alone.

For the last couple of months, I have been trying to figure out my bearings and headings…it is not really working! I am so lost…God has been teaching me to rely on him and allow him to direct my path. Every time that I have let him have control of the wheel, I have been blown away by his providence. He totally hooks me up! Why can’t I just give it all to him? Why do I still want partial control of the ship? It is so hard to just place my cares, my worries, my life at his feet. I want to know what I am doing and when I am doing it. I am such a planner and spontenaity is not exactly in my nature. But I need to trust that God will provide and everything will be okay! I shall endure. I shall make it to the other side of the storm. There are calm seas ahead. Alas, there are calm seas ahead…

No comments: