Flash Required to view this area.

5.16.2010

alana + mike: their wedding | del mar, california.

"how shall we begin?!" she asked and we, a few dozen wide-eyed communication studies scholars, stared blankly at her and shifted in our seats--uncomfortable with the silence and her question in and of itself. we thought to ourselves, "who is this woman? how in the world should we know where to begin? it's your class, you should tell us where to begin". but i was intrigued. excited. i liked this woman. this dr. nicastro. she was different. and well i like different. little did i know that this woman (and this course) would change my life in a profound and surprising way. little did i know that i would walk away empowered, emboldened and confidant. little did i know that she--that unconventional professor--would turn out to be one of the most remarkable women i had ever met. little did i know that i would end up photographing her wedding day.

but she knew something i didn't. she saw something in me. (in us). and probed and prodded in that special way that alana does until that something was uncovered. in that short semester, i found my voice. my voice as an artist, as a writer, as an orator and as a person. she believed in the person that i was, and the person that i would become. and she helped me believe too. that i was gifted. that i was talented. that i could write well and make connections. that i was insightful and articulate. that i could see. that i could notice. and that i could find a way to marry my passion for people and art together in a way that was unique to me and true to my heart and my vision. for the first time, i truly believed that i could do it, that i could become the man i wanted to be, that i had something to contribute, that i could be a photographer.

for those of you who know me, you have likely heard me speak of this elusive character who changed my life and never really understood how and why it was that spoke so fondly of her. well, that's why. that's how. she is an incredible mentor. and friend. and i am so incredibly blessed to have learned from her, to have her in my life, and to have photographed her wedding as you can imagine it was an emotional experience for me. one that i am deeply blessed to have had. i would not have have missed this day for anything, and i'm so thankful i got to be the one to document all that it was...and now, this is the story of alana + mike's wedding day...

he uncovers artifacts and fossils and studies the days and peoples of old. she uncovers the talent, voice and passion within people and calls out the best in them. they both work hard and discovering the buried, the hidden, the unnoticed, the forgotten. he's an archeologist, she a consultant and professor. their inquisitive spirits make for colorful conversation and deep connection between them. they enrich each other's lives in a way that is unique, intentional and honest. he is her beloved. and she is his.



two of my favorite photos from the day...





the photo of the right makes me laugh. still. i asked alana to relax and just hug mike and she gave me a hard time about it. "jeffrey, i can't relax. i'm trying not to fall over. you have me standing in bark in my heals. haha." and then that moment happened. see it's all for the shot. my brides put up with so much from me.




all drama. i love it.


one of most intimate and emotional ceremonies i've witness. i had the channel the inner professional and keep shooting so that i wasn't a hot mess crying in the corner.


"the girls"--alana's group of friends from grad school---shared a beautiful piece of prose. so special.
i found me a cool flower to shoot through. oh yes.


and finally some details shots...simple elegance.




to view more of their day, watch their slideshow here.

3 comments:

Madeline said...

Jeff! I loved Alana and completely lost touch with her after she moved away from Westmont. I adored her...she had such a fantastic aura about her all the time. SO excited you two are still close and that you got to shoot her wedding! There are some incredibly shots in there...love the flower-tinted one :) Say hi to her for me!!!!

Michele said...

What beautiful photos and a great description you wrote of Alana!

Krystle said...

a substantial post. Love your writing and the admiration it portrays. I'm sure this brought complete joy to the woman you speak of. Love your style and I'm so glad you shared this with us!